1. To help you set your intention, ask your self, “Why even cleanse?” For me, I know I will have more energy, my skin will glow, I will shed a few unwanted pounds, my thinking will be clearer, I will be more creative and productive, my immune system will strengthen and…well, the benefits are tremendous. I truly believe that cleansing and maintaining a clean diet benefits all areas of my life.
2. Get an cleansing buddy. Find someone you can be accountable to and with. It is shown that when you are embarking on a cleanse or new fitness/weight loss program, having support and supporting another will keep you in the game.
3. Environmental Cleanse. Start cleaning out your cupboards, pantry and refrigerator of what you know isn’t going to support your cleanse. Really clean those shelves. This can be looked as symbolically as to what you are going to be doing for your body. Also clean out your closet, backpack, purse and your car.
4. Begin eliminating the foods and drinks from your diet that won’t support your cleanse. My New Year’s resolution for 2014 was to abstain from drinking alcohol and I am already feeling the benefits!
5. Upon waking up, drink at least 8 to 16 ounces of water before ingesting anything else. Try adding four drops of Young Living’s Slique essential oil blend, or a drop of Young Living’s peppermint, lemon, grapefruit, spearmint and/or tangerine. Hydrating yourself in the morning is key to good digestion and elimination and adding a drop of two of any of these oils to your drinking water may help curb your appetite through out the day. Be sure to drink half of your body weight in ounces everyday. For instance if you weight 150 pounds, drink at least 75 ounces of water everyday. Juices and tea don’t count!
6. Invest in a juicer, Vita-Mix or my new favorite, the Nutri-Bullet and start shopping for organic produce at your local farmer’s market. As you get more into your cleanse, juicing and veggie/nut/fruit smoothies will be key nutrition for you.
7. Add more twists into your yoga practice. Twists may help encourage better digestion and elimination for your colon and help activate liver and kidney function. Incorporate more cardiovascular exercise into your daily routine. Since our skin is one of the largest organs of elimination, we want to sweat everyday!